Job Title: Senior Caseworker
Working For: Neil Coyle MP (Bermondsey and Old Southwark)
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing a caseworker and high volume of casework
- Handling correspondence from constituents, drafting responses and providing advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues (eg immigration, housing, benefits) through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others
- Attending advice surgeries and other meetings as appropriate, including at weekends and out of standard office hours at times
- Dealing with daily written and telephone enquiries from members of the public and taking the appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate to the Member
- Managing own caseload, progress of casework and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation
Analysing patterns of enquiries and producing monthly reports
- Ensuring cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner (in accordance with the Data Protection Act)
- Community engagement – liaising with councillors and constituency organisations to identify areas of concern and action to tackle them
- Organising and undertaking mobile and telephone surgery sessions to reach more constituents than traditional, reactive casework
- Prior experience in a similar role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient in IT, particularly MS Office, with experience of using casework management software preferable
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise own workload, manage own administration, work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour Party
Successful applicants will be offered an initial 6 month contract, with the possibility to extend pending a review of the office structure.
The role is intended to be based in Neil’s constituency office in Bermondsey and Old Southwark. Please note, we are in the process of opening a new office in the constituency. Some work in Westminster may also be required.
Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Closing Date: 8 February 2016
Interviews will be held on 11th/12th Feb
Start date as soon as possible.
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing how you would meet the key points and outlining why you would be suitable for the position, in particular managing casework to maximise the reach of an MP, and a CV of no more than two sides of A4 .
Please email your application to email@example.com by 12noon on 8th February